Live multi-camera shooting, an area usually reserved for television studios and large events with expensive equipment, is being brought within reach of mere mortals by Mevo, with its Live Event Camera. Leveraging the experience of the brains behind Livestream, the Live Event Camera combines recording and streaming facilities with live switching.
Spec-wise, Mevo built the Live Event Camera around a 4K sensor, which sits behind a 150-degree field-of-view lens for a wide recording area. We’ve heard this all featured before in action cameras, but what makes the Live Event Camera special? Well, to say it’s just a camera is somewhat misleading. The Live Event Camera is operated via a free iOS app, and inside this app is where all the magic hidden inside the camera comes to life. With all the functionality packed into the app, this diminutive camera, smaller than half the size of a common beverage can, becomes a micro TV studio powerhouse that leverages the 4K sensor for live-switching up to 9 virtual camera angles at 720p resolution, with each angle composed of part of the full 4K image. The app allows you to cut between the virtual cameras and provides real-time virtual camera controls, like panning, tilting, and zooming, which can be done in real time with simple touchscreen gestures. The final product is recorded to a micro SD card and can be sent back to your phone for immediate uploading or sharing. If you have a subscription to Livestream’s professional streaming service, you can broadcast your event in real time using a Wi-Fi network or your Phone’s LTE connection.
For these prices, your Movi Camera will include everything you need to start your production:
- Universal mount for mic stands and tripods
- 10 foot USB cable
- 16 GB microSD
- Adjustable K&M stand (only with Pro version)
What can you do with this feature? The sky’s the limit, really, but here are a few examples from the Movi website:
- Automate Movi recording/streaming triggers
- Enhance Movi’s computer vision capabilities for your specific application using your own OpenCV (or other) algorithm driving Movi’s realtime virtual camera control API
- Platform for video engineering education
- Video hackathons
- Art Installations
In a nutshell, Movi’s Boost is a cylinder the same circumference as the camera, but is roughly 2.5 times taller. It attaches directly to the bottom of Movi and provides the following additional features:
- Up to 10 hours of filming, with only a 5-hour recharge time.
- You’ll also be able to simultaneously charge any USB accessory, including your iPhone.
- The Boost features a water resistant flap, which gives you the ability to shoot indoors or outdoors, rain or shine.
- 10/100 mbps Ethernet port
- LTE ready (note: This only works with Verizon 4G LTE USB Modem UML295. No other modems are currently supported.)
Mevo Live Event Camera